Monday, October 4, 2010

Always a Daddy's girl!

 So, there I was waving goodbye to the precious cargo I had stowed into the backseat of my Dad's car {read: two big boys!}, wondering why I had thought that it was a good idea to send them off on their first big trip away from home {read: ME} alone, when I am SUCH a stress head with that sort of thing!
Then it occurred to me -{light bulb moment} that I was entrusting them to the only person I know who is just as more safety conscious than me - MY DAD.  And after-all he did manage to get me through childhood relatively unscathed!

My Dad is a bit pedantic - and I think quite truthfully he may have driven my Mother around the bend when we were little, ensuring that we were safe.  He put up a big TALL fence around the pool before they were required by law, he baby-proofed the house and he was the one who checked and double checked that we were wearing our seat belts before he started the car.




In truth - I was a bit of a Daddys' girl , being the youngest  - but I think I secretly loved that he treated me like precious cargo all of the time.  I think children feel loved and cared for when their parents are concerned for their well being and I don't think it really does any harm. {I am truly NOT a princess now -TRULY}......

My eldest son gets a little frustrated with me ... he is the explorer, the ground breaker, the thinker.  He thinks that I treat him like a baby ... when all of his friends are allowed to do this or that and he is still waiting to be allowed...... He grits his teeth and says "OK Mum".  I tell him that we have rules because we love him ... I know that deep down he knows this and that maybe one day he will look back and be grateful for the way that we are! Just as I have done {it only took me 36years and three kids!}




So, for today I will be grateful for the great start to life that I was given by my parents, I will trust that my boys will have a great time on their BIG trip away from home and I will hope that maybe they might come back with a little insight into how I became the Mum that I am!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure they'll all have a gr8 time.. the boys and your Dad! It's a gr8 way for them to experience life without Mum and Dad...they'll miss you heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....btw...love your Dad's terry towelling hat!...Mum or Dad had a white one just like it..vaguely remember it....so funny how styles change and then come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fashion is LOVELY!!! Guess our kids will laugh at us too. Just got an update earlier, Sam is excited - he's going to bingo with the ladies on the granny bus tomorrow night - too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet! Your dad sounds like a gem. I'm sure the boys are going to have a GREAT time and will be very, very safe. :)

    ReplyDelete