Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Owl softie


So, another lovely friend of mine recently gave birth to a beautiful baby ~ this time a boy.
He is of course GORGEOUS!

I decided to make him a little softie as a birth gift, so first stop was my local fabric shop where I could not walk past the fluffy chenille {what textile lover could!} ~I added some lovely green quilters fabrics and some delicious wool felt.

Next stop ~ google image search for inspiration ~ giraffes, monkeys, elephants ... but I could only get excited about the OWLS!!!. Hundreds of beautiful softies, tall ones, short ones, fat ones.....skinny ones.  Some with wings, some with feet, some with large eyes some with no eyes!

I took a little bit of inspiration from the hundreds that I looked at, decided on some elements that I liked - big eyes, little wings, no feet and then began to create a pattern.


I decided to use a little of this vintage ric~rac {that I inherited and has a price tag of 16c ....hehehe} . It's so lovely!


So then I pieced together the details to the front panel







And then joined the front to the back




Ta Da!!!!!




And here is his back



I love softies! 

Here is the link to the story of my sewing machine for those who have been loving it!


5 comments:

  1. How sweet is that . . .and so fun to snuggle with!

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much I love this! He is the CUTEST, CUTEST little owl! He looks so soft and cozy. He needs a name.

    I love your pictures. Your sewing machine is all kinds of cool. The pic of him done against the machine makes my heart sing.

    What a lucky little boy who will receive him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my this is so cute! I lovelovelove owls.
    My sister makes fun of me, but i have owl tees, an owl dress, an owl toy on my bed...and my bf just bought me an owl moneybox. You'd think i was a child haha.
    You are very talented to have made this!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not sure what i love more...the owl or that awesome sewing machine?! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I'm so envious of your sewing talents!

    ReplyDelete